Jones Family

Jones Family
November 2009

Monday, December 21, 2009

So good to be home

Friday was such a rush of activity. We had done a lot of packing and prep work Thursday night. We were crossing our fingers for good blood results and hopes that Brayden could do more. Friday morning he was so excited to be going to his last Radiation appt. We got there pretty early and got some pictures with the wonderful staff. They gave him his countdown calendar and he thought it was so cool he got to take his mask/helmet with him. He got a hat and a diploma to show his ‘graduation’ from Radiation. It was great getting to say goodbye to everyone and Merry Christmas wishes. We headed to Children’s. We needed to get another check of Brayden’s counts since his ANC was in the low 200’s the prior Monday. After his port access and blood draw was complete, we took a walk to the floor to check on some friends while waiting for the results to come back. It was a welcome relief to hear that they both had gotten to go home recently. After visiting with all the nurses, Brayden let out a cheer when he heard his ANC’s…although Mom wasn’t cheering. If Brayden’s counts had been high enough, he’d have to come back for chemo today in Little Rock and start the Maintenance phase of his treatments. He was just pumped to hear he wouldn’t have to come back this week! Me, on the other hand, not so much. Hearing he was Neutropenic and his counts had dropped to the low 100’s has me again on high alert. We’re hoping and praying his counts are high enough next week to see all of our family for the first time since early October. The yucky Ara-C is doing its job in the long-lasting effects we were warned about. This is week 5 since and he’s still Neutropenic. Nevertheless, at least his red blood cells and platelets didn’t require transfusions, so on the bright side, we were heading home!

We quickly loaded up the last of our things and headed out of town! Thankfully, we didn’t have to stop. I warned Brayden ahead of time with his counts that dangerously low, we needed to try to get straight home. We couldn’t have been happier to be back. Seeing Dad & Hershey a few hours later was so wonderful! Brayden had so much fun showing him all the Radiation stuff. This weekend has flown by with all the Christmas prep to complete and me getting out VERY late Friday to re-stock groceries and get ready for the 10 days to come. We had a few scares with Brayden having a sore throat, but so thankful nothing developed. I was physically ill with worry and I don’t know how I will ever learn to let go of that concern or if as a Mom, that’s even possible. I was so happy to see his bright shining eyes the next morning after he finally ate a better breakfast. Brayden and I were busy on Saturday wrapping presents. He did SUCH a good job on Dad’s presents! We were definitely enjoying the Christmas activities at home – baking, looking through Christmas cards, reading through school stuff and cards & gifts from his friends! Thank you!!!

We go back to check his counts Wednesday locally and I’m just praying they’re above Neutropenic level so we can breathe a small sigh of relief for now. Regardless, I think we’ve learned to still have fun and enjoy all the moments we have together. I’ll try to post some pics soon. Brayden definitely can’t hide what he’s going through anymore and I noticed how different he looks even after Radiation. We’re so thankful for how strong he was and how well he did in enduring those 8 treatments. Even though he’s Neutropenic and has been so tired, weak, & in some pain, we’re thankful he’s fighting and not having to spend this time in Little Rock or in the hospital from a fever with being Neutropenic. We’re so thankful we’re together at home and pray for him to regain his strength, for all the Leukemia cells to be killed in his brain after the Radiation and especially in his body after the long 8 months he’s endured of High-Risk aggressive chemotherapy. We pray that everyone remember the true reason for this special season and be filled with peace and love for one another. Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduating from Radiation, Brayden! We're so happy you're back home, even tho we haven't gotten to see you - it's wonderful to know you're close by anyways. We sure do miss you, buddy! We're just praying that your counts come up, so we can see you for Christmas, hopefully? Papa & Nini are sending huge & kissies your way! We love you oodles & are sending Merry Christmas wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brayden how are you?Are you feeling ok? I'm very curious at this time of year because it's close to Christmas and I want you to be as happy as possible because you are my best friend and always have been.You've never let me down and I'm sure you never will so same with me.I hope you get everyting you want for Christmas."Lord I pray you heal Brayden and take away this terrible sickness and heal his body for I leave all my trust in You Lord I know it's in You're hands now I fully thank You for taking care of him throughout this hard journy and I also thank you for all the people who care for and about or even both in You'r Holy name Amen".Well there you go Brayden proof that I've been praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say MERRY CHRISTMAS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're home safe and sound! I look forward to seeing pictures of Brayden's mask to try and visualize the radiation process he went through. Brayden, your courage is AWESOME!!! So proud of you, you are amazing to be so brave! We are praying your counts get higher soon!

    Merry Christmas!

    Love you guys!
    Amelia, Eric and Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey brayden how are you doing? Do you get bored very often? Do you still get to play football outside with your dad? I have so many questions for when you come back. Oh ya john siad HI to you. I am not kidding he really says HI.

    ReplyDelete